If you are cyclist, you likely have had more than one “close call” with a vehicle. A bicycle accident can be devastating, so it is important to take every precaution to prevent an accident. Below are a few tips for keeping yourself safe, as well as strengthening your claim should an accident occur:
- Always wear a helmet. California law requires children under the age of 18 years to wear a helmet when riding their bicycles. However, even though the law may not require it, all adults should wear a helmet when cycling. It can prevent serious head injuries or death, and it also plays a critical role if litigation becomes necessary. It is human nature to view a cyclist who is attempting to protect themselves from harm more favorably.
- Properly maintain and equip your bicycle. A cyclist should equip their bike with safety equipment such as mirrors, front and rear lights, light reflectors, or anything else that can make them more visible to the drivers of vehicles. A cyclist should also perform routine maintenance on his or her bicycle to ensure it is functioning properly.
- Learn the rules of the road. California has several rules governing how a bicyclist must behave on roadways. It is important to understand that California cities may also have additional rules governing cyclists, such as whether a bicyclist is permitted to ride on the city’s sidewalks. Thus, you should take time to know the rules of the roadways where you will be riding.
- Dress in bright clothing. Anything a cyclist can do to make themselves more visible to drivers is encouraged. Bright or fluorescent gear is widely available but adding reflective tape to your helmet and clothes can be effective too.
- Use signals. All cyclists should know the proper hand signals and use them when turning or braking.
- Stay alert. Cyclists should never assume the driver of a vehicle sees them. You should stay alert and prepared to react. This is true for moving vehicles, parked vehicles, other cyclists, and pedestrians. You should avoid wearing earphones or talking on the phone while riding your bike.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, contact the personal injury attorneys at the Law Office of Alex Cha & Associates for the help you need. We can walk you through the steps you need to take to obtain the full and fair compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.