When you think of a slip and fall injury, you likely picture a person slipping on a liquid in the aisle of a store and falling. However, slip and fall accidents can occur in a variety of ways resulting in injuries that range from minor to quite severe. A slip and fall accident typically occurs in an instant and the person usually cannot react in time to protect themselves. Below are a few of the most common injuries caused by a slip and fall:
- Broken Bones. A broken bone is common in a slip and fall because the victim impacts the ground quickly and harshly. A broken bone can range from a minor fracture to a more serious injury that requires you to have surgery. Additionally, the tissue surrounding the broken bone suffers damage as well. This type of injury can cause chronic pain and often requires physical therapy as part of your recovery. If you are the victim of a slip and fall, it is imperative that you seek medical attention. This is particularly true if you feel pain or have swelling in the area of a bone or your joints.
- Spinal Cord Injury. Injury to your spinal cord is one of the most traumatic types of slip and fall injuries. Damage to your spinal cord can permanent, so immediate medical care is required. Medical bills in this type of accident can be overwhelming, so it is critical to retain a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after the accident. The quicker your lawyer is involved, the more likely you are to obtain the maximum amount of compensation for your damages suffered.
- Brain Injuries. It is very common to strike your head on the ground in a slip and fall accident. Even if you feel fine, you should have a medical professional examine you for a concussion. Common symptoms of a concussion are that you start feeling dizzy, confused or have a headache. In some cases, the strike to the head is so forceful that it causes a brain injury. Thus, regardless of how you feel, a full medical examination is important to rule out any cranial damage.
- Soft Tissue Injuries. One of the most common injuries in a fall accident is soft tissue damage, such as a sprain or ligament tear. If damage to your soft tissue is left untreated, it can cause chronic pain. It is important to understand that this type of injury may not be immediately noticeable, so pay attention to how your body feels in the weeks following the slip and fall accident. Again, getting checked out by a medical professional can help detect injuries even before you notice symptoms.
- Bruises and Scrapes. Although a bruise or cut is not a serious injury, most victims of a slip and fall accident suffer this type of injury. A minor cut can be easily remedied, but in more serious cases stitches may be required. Additionally, keep an eye on a bruise to make sure it is healing properly and not an indication of something more.
If you or a loved one has been injured by unsafe conditions on another party’s property, contact an experienced personal injury attorney at the Law Office of Alex Cha & Associates for a free initial consultation. We can evaluate the facts surrounding your case and help determine if you can recover compensation for your damages suffered.